Discovering Galapagos Homeschooling Resources
We’re currently in a time where parents are required to be teachers, and children are learning everything at home, and we’re here to help with Discovering Galapagos.
We’re currently in a time where parents are required to be teachers, and children are learning everything at home, and we’re here to help. We believe that today’s students are tomorrow’s conservation ambassadors. Using Discovering Galapagos, you can help your children learn and deepen their understanding of the natural world and the conservation challenges we face. Especially at this challenging time when access to nature is limited. You can inspire and engage them with our free online homeschool resources and activities.
Head to discoveringgalapagos.org.uk now.
What is Discovering Galapagos?
Discovering Galapagos is an educational resource available both in English and Spanish designed for use in the UK, Ecuador, and Galapagos. It was designed for teachers to deliver lessons with strong links to the UK science and geography curriculum. However, Discovering Galapagos is ideal as a highly relevant and reliable resource for homeschooling across KS2, KS3, KS4, and beyond. You can find out more about the Discovering Galapagos project here.
How does it work?
The Discovering Galapagos website has three different sections.
- The Discover Zone – this is where you can let your children read and explore alone, or work through different topics together. There is lots of exciting information, videos, interactive maps and quizzes. There are sections on the Geographical processes that have led to the Islands formation, sustainable development on Galapagos,, and spotlights on conservation workacross the Galapagos Islands.
- The Evolution Zone– Discover the life of Charles Darwin, his voyage on HMS Beagle, and his time on each of the Galapagos islands. In the Evolution Zone, you can also learn about the basic concepts in genetics, adaptations and Darwin’s theory of evolution by natural selection.
- The Teacher Zone– you don’t need to be a teacher to access the Teacher Zone; all you need to do is register for free or log in. Here there are full lesson plans available to download for free across the curriculum based on history, literacy, geography, numeracy and science, covering 7-11 or KS2, 11 to 14 or KS3, 14 to 18 or KS4, or more advanced.
What other resources are available?
Storytelling is a fantastic way to engage people of all ages in science and conservation and can inspire them to be more environmentally conscious. That’s why we have launched a free six-part guided reading session for teachers, parents and carers based on Marti the Hammerhead Shark: A Galapagos Journey. Our Education Officer, Sarah, who is also an experienced teacher, has developed this fantastic set of reading materials. The downloadable pack will give you all the resources you need to teach, inspire and discuss Marti’s story with children. Download here.
There are also a lot of home resources that are not yet available on the Discovering Galapagos website, some of which have been created especially for you during lockdown.
- This colouring sheet features many different species from across the Galapagos Islands, perfect for adults and older children – download here.
- Younger children can design a colourful tortoise shell – download here.
- There are also four other tortoise colouring sheets to keep your children occupied. Download 1. Download 2. Download 3. Download 4. Older children can look into how scientists track tortoises in the Galapagos Islands here.
- There are 15 different species of giant tortoises across the Galapagos Islnds, explore which island they live on using this map.
- We have a free online marine iguana magazine bursting with stories, facts and activities on one of the most iconic and unique animal of Galapagos. Read it here. Older children might like to read our back catalogue of Galapagos Matters magazines.
- Older children can learn some new Spanish words with our tortoise colouring-in sheet – download here.
- In 2019, a special expedition found a lonesome tortoise on the island of Fernandina. (Read more about it here). Can your children help find more giant tortoises? Download our fun game and see! (Two players).
- Use these Galapagos Islands and giant tortoise fact sheets to learn more about the Archipelago, then do this fun crossword puzzle. Download the puzzle here and get the answers here.
- Fans of our Marti the Hammerhead Shark story might like to learn how to draw the characters with these guides from our partners The Deep. Learn how to draw Marti. Learn how to draw Tico. Learn how to draw Tulio. Learn how to draw Lucia.
How can I support Discovering Galapagos?
We’re currently working on improving our Discovering Galapagos platform with the launch of a new website soon and continually adding new resources. If you would like to support this work, please donate and help us continue to inspire future conservationists.
Alternatively, our species adoptions are a great way of finding out more information about a specific species whilst supporting crucial work to protect the Galapagos Islands. Check out our range of adoption species here.